Friday, April 06, 2007

A Good Friday Meditation


He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Cor 5:21

Its 11:12 AM on Good Friday, Roughly equivalent to the “5th Hour” when Jesus of Nazareth would have been taking those agonizing steps along the “Way of Sorrows” onto the final sight of his execution at the hands of the Roman Government. The fact that He was still alive at this moment was a miracle in itself. He had already been physically assaulted by the High Priest’s security forces, scourged to an unrecognizable mass of torn human flesh, beaten with rods, and endured multiple lacerations to His face and scalp. Another man would have lapsed into shock from blood loss alone. I believe that our Christ was still alive at this hour simply because His mission had yet to have been fully completed. As hellish as his ordeal had been to the moment, it would only become more severe. In a few excruciating moments, the one who “Knew no sin”, would be made “sin on our behalf”.

He didn’t become a sinner. The one who knew no sin remained sinless. He became the spotless lamb who sensed the cold blade at his throat. He too became the scapegoat, suddenly sensing the incalculable weight of the sum total of human wickedness come crashing down upon his wounded head and shoulders. Then in the midst of all this, our Christ sensed something never encountered heretofore in eternity; the supernatural bound of the Godhead had been interrupted! Jesus bar Yahweh now hung between heaven and earth, forsaken and alone.
.
.
.
I’m overwhelmed by that moment; the one who declared that “My Father and I are one” was now alone. That Holy Communion was now replaced with the rotting stench of my sins, the selfishness of my petty whining, and the ugliness of my pride.

Why?

.
He took on my spiritual ugliness that I might in-turn put on His spiritual Beauty. He hung on that cross, clothed in my sin that I might in-turn be clothed in His righteousness. He put on me, suffering the full wrath of Heaven on my behalf that I might stand before the Father, Justified in His Son.

1 comment:

Tyrone Ferrara said...

Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. - Good Friday