Thursday, January 07, 2010

St. Jude meets Eleanor Rigby

First, there is:

Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. Jude 1:3

And, then there's:
Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream. Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door. Who is it for?

There are but a few things in this world that I'm truly passionate for. Included in this list are the truth of God's Word and His promises pertaining to you & I, the belief that through the atonement that there is radical redemption and profound transformation, and that the Almighty will set foot back in His creation to close the books & establish a kingdom that will be without end and without match. Besides that, my wife, my adult kids, my terriers and the perfect brew; I'm pretty flexible on things. This all said, there was a moment this week that served to remind me of some critical issues.

I recently had the blessing of reconnecting with a woman whom I was friends with through elementary school. Suffice to say, much had occurred in those intervening years since the 70's. This lady is a sweetheart who though seeming to have lived a charmed life, had been served a sterecore sandwich in many aspects. She knew the sorrow of burying a child, and lived under the sadness of believing that the Almighty had forgotten her.

My heart broke for my old friend. Not just for her loss, but for her living under the adversary's propaganda that the Lord of Heaven & Earth had it out for her. I assured Lady that not only did the Father only love her, but He sent His only son that she might be reconciled back to him. I can only pray that her soul was lifted.

Now why am I sharing this? Well its simple campers. Since 2003, many have been engaged in the combat of the orthodox, defending the "faith once delivered". Kegs and kegs of powder has been burned and employed against the "revisionist" and "liberal". Yet, while we've been knee deep in the hoopla, have we lost the trail?

We contend for the truth. But, we have a greater commission. And that is to (the Savior's words, not mine) feed the Lord's sheep. That's what its all about. The wounded and broken lambs could give a rat's backside over our ongoing debates, they just want to find relief and to stop bleeding. It's possible for us to be so busy defending orthodoxy that the wounded continue to die at our feet. Kyrie eleison.

No comments: