Wednesday, December 28, 2011

On the Feast of the Holy Innocents



The Feast of the Holy Innocents, this was always the scary component of the Christmas Story for me as a child. Thinking that a madman could order the killing of all little boys in a region was the stuff of dark nightmares. As I grew, I wondered why this account wasn't splashed across the history books as a moment of infamy, this changed when I learned more of the scarlet character of the Idumean pretender to the throne of David.

To be succinct and without the benefit of a degree in Psychology, I can simply state that Herod was bat-scat crazy. This puppet king's paranoia was off the map, and anyone whom he perceived as a threat to his tenuous grasp of power was dead meat. He left a blood trail that was wide and deep, so much so that a few dozen little boys in Bethlehem would be little more than a footnote in the bigger picture.

No comments: