Tuesday, February 23, 2016

From This Morning's Lectionary

Reading portions of Psalm 50 this morning:
"14 Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving * and make good your vows to the Most High. 15 Call upon me in the day of trouble; * I will deliver you, and you shall honor me." 22 “I have made my accusation; * I have put my case in order before your eyes. 23 Consider this well, you who forget God, * lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you. 24 Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving honors me; * but to those who keep in my way will I show the salvation of God.”
The same God who see's our actions is the same God who knows our hearts.  This should serve to either comfort us or terrify us.  And in my own walk, there have been more times than I care to confess, that it has been the latter.  But all who are in Christ and are endeavoring to walk in his ways will own this statement if they're honest with themselves.  It was for this reason that the "publican" in the parable stood off a distance whispering "LORD, have mercy on me, a sinner".

We can take comfort in both the words of this psalm, and the words of our Christ.  They remind us that those who know their sins, confess their sins, and seek Divine mercy will stand justified before the throne.

No comments: